Welcome to my website, these pages give details of the solar systems we have installed in Stonehouse, Gloucestershire and records of the outputs we have got from them. The solar hot water system was installed in September 1999 and the PV in March 2004
Our house faces 40 degrees west of south, but the PV has still managed to produce around what was predicted for a south facing roof. 5th Sept 2016 saw us pass 20MWs of home generation. PV typically produces 75% of its annual output over the 6 months through summer when the sun is higher in the sky, and the remaining 25% over the other 6 months. Good Energy pay us 9.9p per kWhr for all our electricity plus 4.5p for 50% of total generation assumed as exported, we get this rate as our PV was installed before the Feed In Tariff was announced. If you install a PV system now you could get around 4.5p/kWh plus 5p/kWh for the 50% assumed export, but the generation payment rate is reduced each quarter so this figure is approximate.
By April 25th 2017 we have generated as much as imported this year, This year with greater generation but also higher usage it took about a month longer to get to this point. Full details on Grid connect PV page.
2017 Monthly details:-
January -The first month with the extended PV installed on 12th generated 91kWh this month. Previous 10 yr average was 49 kWh so nearly double that even with fairly cloudy month.
February -The first full month with the extended PV installed generated 118kWh this month.but a fairly overcast month. Previous 10 yr average was 72 kWh.
March -The amount generated this month follows the usual pattern of more than doubling the total generation of February with 280 kWhs this month.
April -The amount generated this month was 419 kWhs.
May - A hot and sunny month. The amount generated this month was 460 kWhs, more than double previous average for May.
June - A variable month. The amount generated this month was 455 kWhs, slightly less than May.
July - Another variable month. Hot and sunny at the start but wet and windy towards the end. The amount generated this month was 456 kWhs, same total as June.
August - Another variable month. The amount generated this month was 403 kWhs - 12kWhs more than predicted by PV-GIS.
September - An overcast month resulting in the amount generated being 296 kWhs, 38kWhs less than predicted by PV-GIS.
October - Another overcast month resulting in the amount generated being 195 kWhs, 30kWhs less than predicted by PV-GIS.
November - A sunnier month, the amount generated being 146 kWhs, 9kWhs better than predicted by PV-GIS.
December - A fairly overcast month, the amount generated being 84 kWhs, 12kWhs less than predicted by PV-GIS.
By 8th April 2016 we earned as much from our electricity as we owed on our electricity bill. Technically from then on we were in credit for our electricity bill, despite not getting the full FIT amount as weekly generation exceeds import
The solar hot water system produces over 70% of the hot water used in this house. It produced 100% of the hot water from early March to middle of September in 2000. Proving to us that solar power really does work in England. We normally turn the boiler off for around 5 months in the summer each year. The solar hot water system was installed as a DIY installation, but the Renewable Heat Incentive was launched April 2014 for domestic properties which will pay you for the hot water you generate if the system is installed by an MCS accredited installer . Our house faces approximately South West which is not the optimum direction, but even so water temperatures in the summer regularly reach over 60 deg C and in the middle of winter on a clear frosty day we have got the water heated up to over 40 deg C even though the air temp is below O deg!!!
|I hope you find this site interesting, please email me if you have any questions or comments.|
Send me an email